The Spice Mines of Kessel

Saturday, January 10, 2009

So, with the Barnes and Noble gift cards given to me for Christmas, I bought myself a trilogy of Star Wars novels known as the Jedi Academy trilogy. I received them, along with John Piper's work Desiring God, which I have also started reading.


Withing the first 24 hours of receiving these three books, I've already ripped threw a book and a half. That's 500 pages, along with my normal 75 pages a-day of 'educational' reading. I picked up the first book, Jedi Search, and tore through the 350 pages in less than 8 hours. It was awesome, and scary. Now if I could only do that with textbooks....

These books are real good. Dealing with Luke's founding of the new Jedi Academy, as you can tell by the title of the trilogy, but also has some interesting stories that tie very well in with subplots of the movies. Han and Chewy find themselves in the fabled spice mines of Kessel, the place where Han dropped his cargo load that got him in so much trouble with Jabba before A New Hope. It is also the run that he made in under 12 parsecs, faster than anyone else ever.

The rest of the book is good, dealing with the formation of the New Republic, and the finding of a new superweapon, the Sun Crusher, as well as an entire fleet of Imperial Star Destroyers still loyal to the Emperor, though he has been dead for seven years. Leia's finding life as the Minister of State difficult, particularly with her twins, Jacen and Jaina, born to her and Han only two years earlier. We also encounter Lando Calrissian, accompanied by R2 and 3PO, investigating a cheat at the galaxy famous Umgul Blog Races.

This post has officially entered my self into the realm of the nerd, but I could care less. I challenge any man to pick up these books and not be fascinated by being reunited with their favorite characters.

On the life side, tonight is shaping up real well. Tech-UVA basketball at 4, followed by the arrival of Doug and subsequent crazy behavior. What shall happen? One can never tell...

0 comments:

Post a Comment